Monday, January 4, 2016

Are you as blind and selfish as me?

Hey there, happy 2016. I hope that through all the wonderful celebrating, busyness and resolutions (goals or whatever else you want to call it), and getting back to "normal" life you are keeping yourselves strong in the Lord and His Word.

I grew up being encouraged by my mom to have a daily bible reading routine - no fancy way - just starting in Genesis and finishing in Revelation, then starting all over again. It's incredible how God's word never gets old. I love it! But truth to be told, it is really tempting for me to skip two books in particular, Numbers and Deuteronomy (all the names, numbers, statutes and feasts that sound complicated and don't mean much to me). Lord, help me, I'm in the book of Numbers again!

I have to say though, I am so glad to be going through these books again (as always), because as I go through Numbers 32, I read verse 18 which says "We will not return to our homes until each of the people of Israel has gained his inheritance," and I am reminded of my frequent blindness and selfishness.
How many times I left someone behind - uncared for - because I was already set, comfortable and tired? In Numbers, the people of Israel were one heart with their brothers that didn't have their inheritance yet; they were willing to war and die if necessary, so the others could also have the same blessings as they have received.

If we claim to know the compassionate Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior then there is no excuse for us to be careless and unloving towards others, even when we've done "so much." I am humbled by this lesson and pray the Lord will help us all to look around us and take action for His glory.









No comments:

Post a Comment