Friday, August 19, 2016

What would the church look like?

Hi friends, I would like to share, encourage and challenge you as you read on. I have been asked what I think the church would look like if it depended on the different aspects of my Christian walk and I have to be honest, some aspects of my walk aren't pretty at all!

"But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves..."James 1:22-25
So I ask myself...


How would the church look if it was a reflection of my obedience to the Great Commission?
Would it be a genuine church, steady with sound doctrine and growing, or a church that preaches sound doctrine once in a while? I think of the opportunities that I had of sharing the gospel or a word of encouragement but I chose to make lame excuses of not being prepared or having no time. Thank God He doesn't deal with me in the same manner.

How would the church look if it was a reflection of my quiet time?
Would it be a steady and growing church or lukewarm? How many times I messed up my priorities and pushed my quiet time to the end of my list. By the time I get to it I am so tired that I go through the motion, check it off of my list and call it done. On top of that, I have the audacity to say I don't understand why I feel like God is so distant. What kind of relationship is that? Do I not seek to spend time with and get to know the people I love?

How would the church look if it was a reflection of my prayer life?
Would it be a steady and faithful church or a church that responds only in extreme circumstances? If I keep in constant communication with those I love, why don't I do the same with God? My loving Father is there with me all day long. Do I ignore Him until I have no choice but to cry for help because I realize I have no control of the situation?

How would the church look if it was a reflection of my dependency on the Lord in little and big things in life?
And this list goes on...

I am praying for the Lord's mercy on us and that He would help us all to be more Christlike ("If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth." Colossians 3:1-2), so that we can walk worthy to be called His people and His church. ("And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent." Colossians 1:17-18)

No comments:

Post a Comment